L&P Berwick – Berwick, PA
Leggett & Platt – Berwick, Branch 0383, is dedicated to the manufacturing and supply of a wide range of carpet underlayment products. The facility has long been a recycling center for 14 types of post-consumer scrap foam, and currently diverts over 25,000 tons of scrap foam from the landfill each year. In addition to the daily recycling of post-consumer scrap foam, the branch has completed several sustainability projects in the past, including energy-saving lighting enhancements, compressed air optimization, and enhanced dust collection systems. In 2014, the facility made the natural progression of implementing the Eco Initiative program. The following goals have been identified and initiated by the Eco Initiative Team:
- Achieve 100% employee awareness.
- Reduce landfill waste by 5% from 2013.
- Eliminate the spray paint cans going to the landfill.
As a result, the facility has reduced landfill waste by 8%.
|Total Waste Weight||653,427||716,763||863,947|
In 2015, L&P Berwick established new goals for the year.
Eliminate 100% of aerosols.
- The facility already eliminated 100% of their waste paint and this will be phase II.
- Implement a procedure that weighs all waste, then sets a specific target percent as a goal to reach for the year.
Eliminate mop system.
- Buy a steam cleaner and eliminate all wastewater and mop heads.